Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Tales of Beedle the Bard
author: J.K. Rowling
published: December 4th 2008
pages: 109
my rating: 4 out of 5 stars


The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers’ attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger’s new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,” “The Fountain of Fair Fortune,” “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” “Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump,” and of course, “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.


I obviously love Harry Potter and so I was more than excited to read this companion book that is introduced as a story book for children in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. And it did not let me down. Of course it's not comparable to Harry Potter at all but I still love everything that takes place in the wizarding world.


The short stories where really great they where basically like fairy tales, each teaching a different important lesson, but way more awesome. I actually think they would be great stories to read to younger children, even if they aren't familiar with Harry Potter.
Since they are stories for (wizard) children, the writing was really simple and the stories themselves where pretty short. I would've liked them to be a bit more detailed but that's probably just me wanting more to read about the Harry Potter universe.

Dumbledores notes gave a bit more detail and background knowledge and also they where from Dumbledore. I loved that through them lots of new information about the wizarding history is told and the universe gets even more depth, telling more about the struggles and dangers wizards had to face in their past.

Also the book was translated from Hermoine and every time her name was mentioned I was way to happy than I should've been.

I have now read to of the three companion novels that J.K. Rowling has released and loved both of them. Since the movie is being released soon, I hope I can pick up Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them next.

No comments:

Post a Comment