Friday, August 5, 2016

The Merciless

author: Danielle Vega
published: June 9th 2015
pages: 279
my rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Forgive us, Father, for we have sinned

Brooklyn Stevens sits in a pool of her own blood, tied up and gagged. No one outside of these dank basement walls knows she’s here. No one can hear her scream.

Sofia Flores knows she shouldn’t have gotten involved. When she befriended Riley, Grace, and Alexis on her first day at school, she admired them, with their perfect hair and their good-girl ways. They said they wanted to save Brooklyn. They wanted to help her. Sofia didn’t realize they believed Brooklyn was possessed.

Now, Riley and the girls are performing an exorcism on Brooklyn—but their idea of an exorcism is closer to torture than salvation. All Sofia wants is to get out of this house. But there is no way out. Sofia can’t go against the other girls . . . unless she wants to be next. . . .

This was another book I read for the BookTube-A-Thon. I didn't use it for any particular challenge but I did find out about it through BookTube. And although I heard many great things about it, I had little to no idea what it is about before reading it and I think that's the best way to get into this book.



It starts of in a typical high-school setting with a new girl trying to fit in, the popular girls, outcasts, everything you could expect. However it soon gets very, very dark and twisted. Although it's short and easy to get through it's the opposite of relaxing. The vibe I got from that book is similar to that of a horror movie (not that I watch a lot but you get the idea), it kept me on the edge of my site the entire time and at the end I couldn't believe it was over, thinking "What just happened" and "that's it?".

The main character, Sofia, was obviously very insecure and easily manipulated which made it hard to predict her actions. I still really hoped she would get out of the situation alive and without doing something really stupid.
The other characters though… They can only be described as crazy or insane. All of them are totally unpredictable, I had no idea who was telling the truth and who was going to do what next which made everything that much more suspenseful.

A huge part of this book is religion and I didn't know what I should make of that. I'm not religious and at first the main message seemed to be rather against the things people do out of faith as well but then it became more non transparent and in the end I almost felt like the things that these girls did were being justified (I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense for those who haven't read the book yet but I really don't want to spoil anything).
I hope the second book will clear up some of the questions left open at the end of this book.


Not that many books can keep me reading without pausing like this one did and I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment