Tuesday, August 30, 2016

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I've Loved Before
author: Jenny Han
published: April 15th 2014
pages: 355
my rating: 4 out of 5 stars


To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. 


When I first heard about this book I didn't immediately want to read it but since a lot of people really love it I became more curious and decided to pick it up. I'm so glad I did!


From the description alone, I thought this book was going to be extremely cringe-worthy and I was so glad that that wasn't the case. Although some parts are a bit cringy and sometimes a bit cheesy it was mostly fun and entertaining to read.

The lack of communication between a lot of the characters really annoyed me. I feel like a big part of the problems that come up in this book could've been avoided if the characters just talked with each other instead of assuming and hiding things. This is an issue I have with a lot of books and even though I'm aware that lots of books wouldn't really play out the way they do without that it still annoys me.

Lara Jean is a great main character. She's fun and quirky but not perfect at all and does some things that made me want to shake her. Her personality is a bit crazy but really likable and relatable.
She has two sisters who both play a major role in the book which and their dynamic reminded me a lot of "the Penderwicks", a children's book I also really like.

I also liked that there wasn't any instant love in this book and I genuinely didn't know for sure if and with whom she would fall in love.

Before starting this book I thought it would be a "summer" read but even though it didn't bother me or anything I don't think it's a particularly fitting book to be reading in summer. In my opinion it's a really cozy and fast paced book that would also be great to read in the winter.

Either way, I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it, regardless of the seasons :).

No comments:

Post a Comment