Saturday, May 21, 2016

Curse of the Sphinx

Curse of the Sphinx
author: Raye Wagner
released: August 9th 2015
pages: 344
my rating: 3 out of 5 stars














Seventeen year-old Hope Nicholas has spent her entire life on the run. But no one is chasing her. In fact, no one even knows she exists. With her mom, she’s traveled from town to town and school to school, barely staying long enough to meet anyone, let alone make friends. And she’ll have to keep it that way. It’s safer.

When her mother is brutally ripped away from her, Hope’s life shatters. Is this the fulfillment of Apollo’s curse, murder from the shadow monsters of the Underworld, or have the demigods finally found her? Orphaned and alone, Hope flees again, but this time there’s no one to teach her who to trust—or how to love.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this book. For some reason it took me a while to finish even though it isn't that long at all.
It has been getting a lot of hype and when I saw that I could get it for free I obviously did. I did like it for the most part but I don't understand the hype around it.





This book has gotten compared to Percy Jackson a lot but apart from both having greek mythology in the main focus they are not comparable at all.
The Percy Jackson books are all really hilarious and mostly light hearted, which this book wasn't. Also the greek god's seem completely different and way more serious. And being a Percy Jackson fan it felt really weird seeing the demigods and gods as almost bad guys.

It annoyed me a bit how much time this book spends on Hope contemplating whether or not she can have friends even though it is pretty obvious that she will.

Another big issue I had with this book was that just nothing happened. Sure there are some parts where Hope is in danger but overall she's just scared from something even though it never became totally clear to me what exactly she was so scared of or why she was constantly fleeing.

This is maybe just me but I thought that the prologue was a huge spoiler for basically the whole book since it revealed things that Hope only finds out towards the end of the book.

What saved everything a bit for me was the character of Hope. She is living on her even though she still goes to school and for some reason I thought that that was really cool. Something about her was kind of badass and the fact that she is a sphinx was really interesting and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment