Monday, May 30, 2016

The Infinite Sea

The Infinite Sea
author: Rick Yancey
published: September 16th 2014
pages: 300
my rating: 4 out of 5 stars



Warning: May contain spoilers for the 5th Wave!










How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

This book was a great sequel. I already loved the first book and this was also amazing. Although I forgot a bit from the first book it wasn't hard to get back into at all.





It's also way more fast paced than the first book, with almost nonstop action through about the first half of the book. That and it's length made it really easy to read really quickly for me. I was pulled in from the start and couldn't stop reading from there. But still, I got confused in a lot of places, especially from Ringers narrative. I understood everything in the end but she thought about problems and said things that I took me a while to understand (but then again, maybe I'm the stupid one here:)).

Other than in the 5th Wave Ringer is the main narrative and in the course of this book I grew to love her more and more. She is a incredibly complex character and every time I thought I had figured her out she did or thought something I totally didn't expect.
There is so much more to her character than just strength. She is tough and strong, sure, but she is also smart , flirty and, even though she never smiles, really funny. In this book a lot about her past is revealed which explains a lot about how she is now.
Another character that got way more depth in this book is Poundcake. For me he wasn't really a remarkable character in the 5th Wave but in this book he also gets a lot more complex and interesting.
Unfortunately Cassie doesn't have the same character development as lots of the other characters. In the first book I thought of her as one of the strongest and most likable characters but here most of her attention was on Evan and even though I still like her she didn't seem as the strong, great character I loved in the 5th Wave.

There are a lot of sequels where nothing important really happens but that wasn't the case here at all. A lot of important things I thought I knew after reading the first book turned out to completely irrelevant or just false. There are also a lot of plot twists for a book this short and for most of them I didn't see them coming at all.

I hope I can get to the third book soon (which just came out a week ago!!!) because I really need to know what happens next and how Rick Yancey will wrap up this trilogy. I hope I'll like Cassie more in the next book and look forward to read more about Ringer.


No comments:

Post a Comment