Monday, May 9, 2016

UnEnchanted

UnEnchanted
author: Chanda Hahn
released: December 29th 2011
pages: 235
my rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars














Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated; until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her it's next fairytale victim. 

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

Rating this book was really difficult for me, because while I did like the overall story, there where some parts that just annoyed me way to much. Also I'm in a bit of a rating crisis because I rate books and then change the ratings later because compared to other books the rating doesn't seem right. I hope I'll get over that soon though. So even if 2.5 stars may not sound that great, I did enjoy the book overall.





There were lots of clichés in this book, in my opinion. Unpopular, unlucky and poor girl has a crush on the popular, rich and basically perfect boy and in a stunning turn of events he notices her. She is skeptical why he would possibly be interested in her and he has to prove that he really wants to get to know her and isn't pulling some kind of prank.
Even though Mina already had a crush on Brody (that's his name) before the book started, it was very insta-lovey, especially from Brody's side, since he didn't even know she existed before she saves his life on a field-trip.
I didn't like the romance between them at all. It all seemed way too rushed, since they go from talking for the first time to risking their lives for each other and declaring their love in a span of a few days or so.

The supernatural part of the book was way better. The only issue I had with it was how fast Mina believed that she was actually cursed – she didn't question it at all.
But the modern twists on the fairy tails where really well done and made me want to read more. It was interesting how it wasn't obvious right away which fairy tale was mentioned and which effect it had on Mina's life. Mina also goes through some character development, which I really liked. She starts of being a huge klutz trying her best to blend in but then starts to gain self-confidence and courage.

To be completely honest, I probably wouldn't have picked this book up, if it weren't free to download  as an e-book on amazon. Even though I did have a lot of issues with it I might continue on with the series, since it got progressively and the ending was actually really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment