Monday, May 23, 2016

The Girl Who Could Fly

The Girl Who Could Fly
author: Victoria Forester
released: June 24th 2008
pages: 329
my rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars














You just can't keep a good girl down . . . unless you use the proper methods.

Piper McCloud can fly. Just like that. Easy as pie.

Sure, she hasn't mastered reverse propulsion and her turns are kind of sloppy, but she's real good at loop-the-loops.

Problem is, the good folk of Lowland County are afraid of Piper. And her ma's at her wit's end. So it seems only fitting that she leave her parents' farm to attend a top-secret, maximum-security school for kids with exceptional abilities. 

School is great at first with a bunch of new friends whose skills range from super-strength to super-genius. (Plus all the homemade apple pie she can eat!) But Piper is special, even among the special. And there are consequences.

Consequences too dire to talk about. Too crazy to consider. And too dangerous to ignore.


I didn't expect to love this book this much but I did. I expected it to be a entertaining middle grade book and even though it was that it was also much more. Also the cover is just amazing.





Piper is such a sweet character who listens to her heart and is nice to everyone which also makes her a bit naive. She is also really courageous and she can freaking fly! Who wouldn't want to fly?

The other kids she meets in the facility are all really great as well. They reminded me a bit of Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children but the plot differs a lot. All of them have their own special ability and I think that gives them so much more character besides just being really interesting.

I'm not sure if this book is middle grade but it is written like one. It wasn't hard to read at all and fast paced. A big part of the plot was like that of a middle grade book as well. My copy of the book kind of spoiled a plot twist in the summary but even without that I think it's pretty obvious where the book is going.
But towards the end it became more and more suspenseful and I couldn't predict what was going to happen at all. And because these kids are so genuinely good I was anxious to find out what happened to them next and couldn't put the book down so I ended up finishing it at 2 in the morning.

This is a book where you laugh at one page and cry when you reach the other. I really recommend you give this a shot and I'm sure you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment