Monday, September 5, 2016

The Sudden Appearance of Hope

The Sudden Appearance of Hope
author: Claire North
published: May 17th 2016
pages: 468
my rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Listen.
All the world forgets me. First my face, then my voice, then the consequences of my deeds.
So listen. Remember me.
My name is Hope Arden, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. But I am the girl the world forgets.
It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time.
A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks straight through me and sees a stranger.
No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am.
That makes my life tricky. But it also makes me dangerous . . .


Did you ever wonder what it would be like living a life where everyone will forget you? Well I definitely did after reading this book. Everything about it was unique and amazing: the main character, the plot, the writing style, everything. Needless to say I loved it.

The ending was the only thing that left me a little unsatisfied just because I really wanted more information.

The main character Hope is a strong female character and her character becomes more and more layered as the story progresses. She goes through massive character development but it was subtle enough to not immediately realize it while reading.
Since everyone that meets her forgets her afterwards there are only a few other remarkable characters but they all play a big role later on and are almost equally as complex as Hope herself.

Something I really enjoyed about this book was the writing style. It's written from Hope's point of view and her often random thoughts are written down. It was really interesting following her sometimes confusing train of thought and it gave her way more depth than she would have had otherwise.

I think it's best to read this book knowing nothing about the plot whatsoever but it did pull me in and kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. It was completely different than I had imagined it to be but also way better than I hoped.

I think the story and the characters of this book will stay on my mind for a very long time. This was an absolutely breathtaking book.



No comments:

Post a Comment